ProStart is a nationwide, two-year program for high school students that develops the best and brightest talent into tomorrow’s industry leaders. ProStart gives students a platform to discover new interests and talents and opens doors for fulfilling careers. The curriculum teaches all facets of the restaurant and foodservice industry, inspires students to succeed and sets a high standard of excellence for students and the industry. ProStart’s industry-driven curriculum provides real-world educational opportunities and builds practical skills and a foundation that will last a lifetime
Concurrent offerings (college)
Students are able to earn concurrent credit through Metropolitan State University of Denver as well as industry certifications.
ProStart National Certificate of Achievement
To earn the ProStart National Certificate of Achievement, students must:
- Complete both ProStart 1 and ProStart 2 courses with a minimum grade of a 70%
- Pass both ProStart Year 1 and ProStart Year 2 national tests with a minimum grade of a 70% (proctored by instructor as final)
- Be employed at an approved foodservice/hospitality/lodging internship site:
- 400 hours verified with pay stubs by August of the student’s freshman year of college (see instructor)
- Have 50 of the 72 student competency checklist items checked off by employer/instructor
- Excessive absences and negative academic reports due to excessive work hours will result in a conference with the instructor, student, parent and mentor/employer.
ServSafe Food Handler
The ServSafe Food Handler Certificate verifies basic food safety knowledge and is for individuals in food handler employee-level positions. Upon successful completion of the ANSI ASTM 2659 accredited Food Handler course and 40-question exam, the employee will receive a Certificate of Achievement from the National Restaurant Association that can be printed from a secure section of the website.
ServSafe Food Manager
The ServSafe Manager Certification verifies that a manager or person-in-charge has sufficient food safety knowledge to protect the public from foodborne illness. Individuals that successfully pass the 90-question, multiple-choice exam will receive a ServSafe Manager Certification and wallet card. The ServSafe Manager Certification is accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) under the Conference for Food Protection Standards.
- Prostart I
- Prostart II